June 6, 2018

Royal Traditions - June 2018 Writing Prompt

Photo Credit: Bengt Nyman (CC BY 2.0)
Happy Swedish National Day!

As these summer months are full of them, this month's writing prompts will focus on Royal events & traditions. I was inspired by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark's speech at the 50th Birthday Gala for her husband, Crown Prince Frederik. In the speech, the Australian-born Princess talked about one of her 1st experiences with Denmark's traditional New Year's Banquet:

"It was during my first visit to Denmark where we had celebrated our first New Years together. I was sitting in the couch in your living room when you said that you should get ready for dinner, a dinner that is always held on 1st of January.
At that time, I really didn’t know so much about that part of your world. So, I didn’t give it much thought.
You left the room, as the man I knew, and came back in full gala uniform. And if I had known Danish at the time, I would probably have thought to myself “aij, hvor har jeg scoret over evne” (wow – I’ve really scored above my league).
It was suddenly a very different image of you that was new to me. Deeply impressive and daunting at the same time. But your eyes and your smile were the same. Gala or not." - Crown Princess Mary (26 May 2018)

Writing Prompt:

Write a scene where you have a Royal (or a member of their staff) explaining to someone new about a royal tradition. You can take inspiration from one of the royal traditions from your favorite royal family or create your own.  (1-5 Pages)

Back to Writing Prompts - Main Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Royal Novelist's Recommended Reading